Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Art of Waiting

It has been a long time since I have taken the time to write and share something from my heart.  Writing is food to my soul and given the hustle and bustle of life, my soul has been starving.  But...all of those things are changing because of my renewed commitment to myself.

2012...new year, new resolutions, new you. We hear it all the time, but I am not into making resolutions because they are often broken by January 4th.  Instead, I try to make commitments. I ask myself this question, "What are some things (very small list; no more than three) that I want to work on in this upcoming year that will benefit me holistically?"

After answering that question, my overwhelming (this year) response was my spiritual walk with God.  So I have been trying to make gains in that area through daily reading, meditation and prayer. Yesterday, I read Psalm 27:14, which states, "Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart." In the 21st century, waiting is the HARDEST thing we have to do.  In a world where we get everything in three minutes and thirty seconds or less, waiting seems like the worst thing in the world. We are so used to online ordering, fast food restaurants, and express shipping that we miss out on valuable lessons associated with the ability to patiently wait.

Although it is a pain, I was encouraged by an anecdote that went with this passage of scripture.  Bishop T.D. Jakes used an analogy of riding a plane.  Sometimes when an Air Traffic Controller or weather prevents a plane from landing, the pilot has to assume the holding pattern position.  In this position, the plane has everything it needs, it just has to wait until the landing is clear.

This also happens in our spiritual life.  Sometimes we have to assume a holding pattern until what God has promised manifests into reality. Sometimes our faith is tested on not if we believe God's Word, but if we can wait on the Word to materialize.

There are some things that I have been waiting on God to confirm in my life and I am so glad the scripture states to be of good courage, meaning, be brave...it is going to be okay.  God's promises are reality; we just have to wait until our purpose match His promises, so that we are able to do OUR BEST WORK.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on renewing your commitment to write more this year and you know that Waiting is definately a curse word in this day and age! It's so challenging to wait! Waiting and patients go hand in hand! I listened to they that wait by Fred Hammond and John P. Key on repeat just the other day!
    Thanks for sharing this word. I look forward to learning more about those other commitments for 2012

    ReplyDelete